Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Walk and Wine

The next time you talk yourself out of going to the gym after work ... call a friend and hit the streets for a good old fashioned power walk. It's the perfect workout for those days when you don't have the energy to fight the masses for the eliptical. Burn calories, vent about your day, analyze various life crises ... what could be better?

Last night my friend Lauren and I did a three mile walk from my house to the White House and back. Sometimes in the hustle and bustle of everyday life, I forget that I live in a city packed with national landmarks and historic buildings. So, it was pretty cool to pass by the President's house on my evening walk. (Tip: alternate the neighborhoods you walk through or try different parks and waterfront locations to switch things up.)

Then of course, we followed our workout with a glass of wine, which probably is counter productive. (But I guess its better to exercise and have a glass of wine, than skip the workout and get bombed at happy hour, right?) Lauren also showed me the coolest thing ever, Gmaps Pedometer that can track the distance you walked so you can really feel a sense of accomplishment. Just plug in your path when you get home and see the results.

Now that the weather is finally shaping up, get out there and enjoy it!

What are your favorite non-gym workouts?

No comments:

Post a Comment