I'm starting to feel like a human again. But let me tell you, even at this early stage, pregnancy is wacky. I couldn't stand the smell of coffee (my favorite!), wouldn't go near a vegetable, and avoided my friends like the plague. Until I could spill the beans, I knew I couldn't go out and pass on the wine without them catching on to my little secret. So I had to get clever to keep my cover. At a work goodbye party, I told my co-workers I was heading to yoga in an hour, so no sangria for me. The old me would skip out on yoga, not the happy hour.
But now that the word is out ... it's really fun. I'm already learning a lot about how to navigate pregnancy. Like, when you want a bagel and cream cheese, you need to have an enormous one (for the baby, right?). Here's what I know so far...
- My friend told me that American Apparel makes awesome non-maternity high-waisted leggings. I'd like to extend a sincere thank you to all the hipsters who wear that look on purpose.
- Babycenter has a great newsletter that tells you what's going on with you and your baby each week. They compare your baby to a similarly sized food for perspective. Today, I'm the proud mother-to-be of a "medium sized shrimp". Weird, but I'll take it.
- Snacking regularly helps keep nausea at bay. I basically have a mini-mart in my desk cabinet at work. If anyone needs a granola bar or a panini pressed, I'm your girl.
- Pregnancy makes you cry over everything, even episodes of Khloe and Lamar.
- A rubber-band will be your best friend in those early months when your jeans are a little snug, but you don't need maternity clothes.
- The What to Expect When You're Expecting app is a good one. From healthy snack ideas to explanations of all those weird things happening in your body, I'm always learning something new from their weekly overviews and daily tips.
- Sometimes I tell my husband I shouldn't do things because I'm pregnant (like all household chores, food shopping, etc.) and he listens. I don't think he believes me. But he's scared not to accommodate.
- My baby will be the proud owner of all of these Ron Swanson bibs:
Do you have any good prego tips? Fill me in! Especially if they're about snacking ... my favorite pastime.