The brisket was really good, if I do say so myself. But more importantly, let's get to the noodle kugel. That was the real star. If you eat a small portion, it's only a mere 35,000 grams of fat.
In the spirit of Jewish Grandma Syndrome, here's my grandma's recipe:
- One pound of medium or wide egg noodles
- A little less than 3 quarters of a cup sugar
- 1 cup of whole milk
- 1/2 pound of whipped cream cheese
- 1 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of sour cream
- 1/2 cup of white raisins (optional)
- Boil noodles (but cook a little less than the full time)
- Use a hand mixer to creme the sugar, butter and cream cheese (make sure it's soft, so take out of fridge before)
- Then add the eggs one at a time, followed by the rest of the ingredients
- Add it to the cooked noodles and stir together
- Mix raisins in
- Pour into a sprayed 9 x13 pan
Make the (most delicious) Topping:
- Melt 1/2 stick of butter (as if you need more butter in this recipe)
- Stir in 1 cup of cornflake crumbs (I bought cornflakes and put them in a plastic bag and smashed until it became crumbs) and 1/4 cup of sugar (oh, sure, this obviously needs more sugar)
- Pour on top of the noodles
- Add cinnamon to taste over the top (it's the only fat-free thing in this dish)
This kugel is top notch. Bon appetit.
PS: Tomorrow when you go on your diet, try this delicious baked kale!