Monday, May 9, 2011

How to Host a Sunday Funday

The perfect way to ward off the dreaded Sunday Blues is with a party, naturally. Sipping mimosas on a sunny afternoon clearly trumps laundry, grocery shopping and mail sorting. So this past Sunday, my husband and I invited our friends over and partied like it was Saturday. Since it was so much fun, I thought I'd share some tips for hosting your own afternoon soiree to cap off the weekend right: 

Tip 1: Create a Bloody Mary Bar
We set up a Bloody Mary Bar, complete with a ginormous bottle of vodka, two varieties of Bloody Mary mix (spicy and original), celery sticks, olives, horseradish, old bay, pepper, hot sauce and lime slices.

Tip 2: Serve Drinks in Mason Jars
I can take zero credit for this great idea. American Ice serves beer in mason jars, and my husband thought it would be fun if we did too. After a quick Google search, he found out that a box of jars could be ordered from the local hardware store for 10 bucks. Done and Done. 

Tip 3: Easy Snacks are Key
Hosts should never feel stressed on Sunday Funday. So food should be no fuss. I love cheese, like, a lot. And there's nothing more delish and simple than a cheese plate. I went to Whole Foods and bought my go-tos: Humboldt Fog, Robusto, Port Salut and a triple cream goat brie. Grapes and prosciutto are also nice to throw on there. Another genius idea from my hubby: herbed goat cheese stuffed peppadew peppers. Beyond easy and they're so good. (He watches a lot of Food Network.) My friends made some delicious dips (onion, 7-layer, roasted veggie) and a shrimp ceviche. And lastly ... I made these Blondies from Smitten Kitchen. All it takes is about 5 ingredients, including an entire bag of chocolate chips.Mmmkay.

Tip 4: Load up on Champagne
Some people would rather go for bubbly than a Bloody Mary. We had a pitcher of OJ and plenty of champagne for mimosas.  

Tip 5: Get a Party Bucket
Beer and wine looks more festive in this "party beverage server" from Crate & Barrel.

Basically - get a lot of booze, hope for nice weather, and enjoy the day not thinking about your to-do list at the office. However, it's important to note that while Sunday Fundays are really awesome ... monday mornings at work are not so awesome. 

What are your tips for a great Sunday afternoon party? Any bloody mary bar essentials?

No comments:

Post a Comment