Luckily, Hurricane Irene turned out to just be a really good excuse to eat an exorbitant amount of cheese and watch enough SVU marathons to be qualified as an NYPD detective. But apparently, Frankenstorm will be an entirely different story. According to the interwebs, people are fighting over boxes of elbow pasta in supermarket aisles and there's one loaf of bread left in the state of New Jersey.
So, yesterday, we went food shopping to stock up on some essentials. (There are still a few similarities to last year in the cheese department.) If you have yet to brave your local grocery store, this list may come in handy should Sandy join for dinner...
- A block (or four) of hard cheese
- Crackers and/or chips - I'm obsessed with Trader Joe's Multigrain Pita Bite Crackers.
- Apples, bananas, oranges, dried fruit (any produce that can handle not being refrigerated)
- Trail Mix
- Peanut Butter
- Cookies (I'm baking a massive batch of these Pumpkin Chocolate Chip favorites).
- Granola bars and/or protein bars
- Candles, lighters, flashlights
- Bottled Water
- Wine (I can't partake this year because I'm preggers, but please have a glass or bottle for me.)
What are your hurricane food faves?