Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Aruba: The Land of Sand, Rain, Sun and Chelsea Handler

To celebrate our one year anniversary, the husband and I jetted off to Aruba, a.k.a "One Happy Island". Everyone raves about Aruba -- the weather's always perfect, the restaurants are fab, and Joran van der Sloot is locked away in a Peruvian jail. What could be better?

But of course, when we landed in paradise, it was raining. No sweat! The palm trees need water. Duh. But as our cab got closer to the hotel, it started coming down in buckets. The roads literally filled up with feet of rain. Water looked like it would start seeping into Rocky Donker's van. (Yes, the cab driver's name is really that awesome.) Rocky said he'd never seen flooding like this in 40 years. Crap.

We made it to the resort, and spent the next two days watching the rain fall and eating nachos under a tiki hut. Being the nutcase that I am, I grew convinced that we were involved in some Aruban form of "Lost" and that I'd have to paddle boat to Venezuela (just 19 miles away) to escape. Luckily for my husband, my insanity stopped when the sun came out. And the next 5 days were filled with sun and afternoon pina coladas.

Every morning we parked it at the pool, where a man in a purple Speedo always sat approximately 3 chairs away from us. Everyday. Ugh. To distract myself from his thong, I read 2 of the Chelsea Handler books. If you do anything with your life, read these: My Horizontal Life and Are You There Vodka, It's Me Chelsea. I'd do anything to be her best friend. She drinks a lot though. Not sure I can keep up. And that says something.

Click over to see pics of the trip and Speedo Guy.



Despite a bit of rain, we had a fabulous trip. I channeled my inner 85 year old and did some pool aerobics. We went to amazing restaurants (try Madame Janette's, Papiamento, Aqua Grill and Flying Fishbone if you go!) and got to spend some much needed time together without work, blackberrys and everyday life getting in the way.

Here are a few pics from our Aruba adventure!
the road leading to the hotel

even the birds were pissed about the weather

a plate of nachos helped our despair
dinner at madame janette's

yes! finally, the sun!

a lovely sunset

it's no double rainbow, but it'll do

Speedo Guy Forever. XO

1 comment:

  1. Land Aruba is a place to enjoy sunset at the sea shore. You will going to enjoy your holidays in Aruba as the weather is awesome and cool breeze will make your day. Enjoy beach sports like tennis and volley ball.

    ReplyDelete